Monday, November 5, 2012

Link up with From Mrs To Mama

This Weeks Questions: Careers/Your "Job"
1. Tell us what you studied in college. Is your job now related to what you studied?
I only went to a community college for a short amount of time but didnt receive a degree.  For 9 years I was in banking but I knew that wasnt "my thing".  I actually am now a 911 Telecommunicator.  I love it and am going on my 9th year.  We take all emergency and non emergency phone calls for the county I live in.  I dispatch police, sheriff, ambulance, fire, animal control, you name it we do it.

2. Tell us what your everyday job looks like.
I work overnights so you NEVER know what you will get.  Some nights it is so quiet you could hear a pin drop and other times it is so busy I cant get up to use the restroom.  Mostly it stays quieter during the winter months and pretty steady in the summer.  Wednesday Fridays and Saturdays are generally busier but not always.

3. Do you have a picture of you at work? Show us.
I actually dont have a picture of myself at work besides my id because it isnt allowed.  Sorry ladies

4. In 10 years, what do you see yourself doing? Same thing? More? Tell us.
Probably same as now.  For the most part I love my job, but it can be very stressful and working overnights is hard on family life.  I make decent money and get a lot of time off work so I most likely will be there till I retire.

5. Tell us what you have learned, and what {if any} recommendations you may have for those looking to go into the field you are in.
I have learned that a lot of people are in serious need of help.  You would be shocked to hear what I have heard in my 9 years.  Everything from murders and suicides to my electric wheelchair is dead and I cant reach to plug it in, can the police come over and do it?
As far as others going into my line of work, it takes a certain kind of person to be able to do our job.  We get cussed out on a nightly basis and can never yell back.  If you can deal with no breaks, stuck in your chair, people yelling and screaming at you and taking calls where babies arent breathing, then go for it.  Like I said, we are a weird bunch. LOL

Here is one of my favorite poems which kind of describes my world:

Who Am I?

Dispatcher Poem


Who Am I?

I am the voice that calms the mother
breathing life into her infant son.
I am the invisible hand that holds and
comforts the elderly man who woke up
and found his wife of 50 years had
passed away during the night.
I am the friend who talks the disgruntled
teenager out of ending her own life.
I sent help when you had your first
automobile accident.

I am the one who tries to obtain the information
from callers to ensure that the scene is safe for
those I dispatch to emergencies - all the while
anticipating the worst and hoping for the best.

I am the psychologist who readily adapts by
language and tone of voice to serve the needs
of my callers with compassion and understanding.
I am the ears that listen to the needs of all
those I serve.

I have heard the screams of faceless people
I will never meet nor forget.
I have cried at the atrocities of mankind and
rejoiced at the miracle of life.

I was there, though unseen, by my comrades
in the field during the most trying emergencies.
I have tried to visualize the scene to coincide
with the voices I have heard.

I am usually not privy to the outcome of
the call, and so I wonder...

I am the one who works weekends, strange
shifts and holidays. Children do not say they
want my job when they grow up.
Yet, I am at this vocation by choice.
Those I help do not call back to say thank you.
Still, there is comfort in the challenge, integrity
and the purpose of my employment.

I am thankful to provide such a meaningful service.
I am a mother, a father, sister, brother, son or
a daughter.
I am here when you need me and still here when you don't.
My office is never empty, and the work here
is never done. I am always on call. The training is
strenuous, demanding and endless.
No two days at work are ever the same.

Who Am I?
I am an emergency dispatcher and I am proud.

Author Unknown

1 comment:

  1. I have a friend who is a 911 dispatcher. We even visited his work and listened in on a few calls and saw how it all worked! Y'all are awesome!
    I had NO IDEA how to post the image link-up either until last week and someone told me how! So, I thought I would help you! :) When you are writing your post, there will be a 'compose' and 'html' box in the top left corner. When you are actually writing, it is in 'compose' and that's the default, but if you click 'HTML' you can paste the link there and when you click back over to compose the button will show up! Hope that was easy to understand! haha!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete